Working as a professional make-up artist and facialist means I’m constantly asked by clients about daily make-up/skincare routines. “What is an ideal daily cleansing routine? What’s your go-to day-time look?” The questions go on. It’s quite interesting how everyone’s routine is different to each other! Some people have a pretty strict routine, others… Not-so-strict.
I thought I’d put together a little post to tell you about my personal day-to-day routine. It is pretty basic, simple to do, and ideal for everyone, whatever your skin type!
The first thing I do everyday before applying make-up is a full cleanse. I use Skintruth products for this in my correct skin type, which for me is Sensitive. I love Skintruth as their products are non-invasive, they’re not harsh and work well with my skin. Firstly, I wash my face with Cleanser using gentle circular strokes, I then pat-dry it with a towel then apply a few drops of Toner to my whole face (staying clear of my eyes, nostrils and lips) using a cotton pad. I then proceed to apply Moisturiser with clean finger-tips to areas which feel dry or are generally prone to dryness.
After cleansing, I don’t rush on my make-up straight away! I let my moisturiser sink in for a few minutes, during which time I’ll busy myself with something else such as my hair or have breakfast etc. I use a make-up bag completely made up of my favourite Kryolan cosmetics. There are many reasons why Kryolan is awesome so I’ll be sure to lay out all the reasons in a future post, for those interested! Here’s the main make-up products I use on a daily basis:
– KRYOLAN UNDER BASE: This primes the skin to prepare the face for foundation.
– KRYOLAN ULTRA FOUNDATION: I love this foundation; not only does it feel as light as a feather and look completely natural, it’s coverage-power is so amazing, you don’t even need a concealer! The product is great for covering blemishes and areas uneven skin tone. I use a clean foundation brush and a mini concealer brush in areas where I want a more compact coverage (such as under-eyes).
– KRYOLAN ANTI-SHINE POWDER: The loose transparent powder I use to set my make-up. As the title suggests, this product is perfect for keeping a matt, shine-free face all day! I apply using a clean powder-puff and dust off excess with a powder brush.
– KRYOLAN BLUSHER: I wear a pink-tone blusher to give my cheeks a nice natural glow. I also use a little bit of a light-brown tone to contour under my cheeks. I use a blusher brush for the pink, and an angled blusher brush for contour.
– KRYOLAN EYEBROW POWDER: This is a dense powder in light brown I use to fill in my brows. I use an angled brow brush for this. What I like about this product most is that it gives you fuller brows without them looking unnatural/drawn on.
– KRYOLAN EYEBROW GEL: A creamy gel in a mascara shaped bottle with a wand. I brush this on to set my brows in place how I like them, and they stay that way all day!
– KRYOLAN HD CREAM LINER: This is a cream eyeliner in a pot that I apply with a pointed liner brush. I use a dark black-brown tone as hint of brown hue enhances the blue of my eyes. I don’t do an overly thick line for every-day wear; just a small cat-flick which it thickest at the outer corner of my eyes, then the line slims down to nothing towards the inner corner. I also use a teeny-tiny bit of Anti-Shine Powder to set the cream, and then I have non-smudgeable, waterproof liner all day!
– KRYOLAN LONG LASH MASCARA: The best mascara I’ve ever worn! Not only is it non-clump, it’s embedded micro-fibres lengthen your natural lashes to make them appear as long and gorgeous as false-lashes! I love the velvety-feel too. I wear this mascara in black, it nicely contrasts against the liner and makes my lashes stand out. I curl my lashes before applying for best results.
– KRYOLAN HIGH GLOSS: For lips, I just wear a pinky-tone gloss on a daily basis. However, High Gloss, like all Kryolan products, has amazing stay-power; it stays ultra glossy all day and doesn’t wear off whatever you throw its way!
After a long hard day’s work, I gently take my make-up off using a sensitive-skin suitable make-up remover wipe, then repeat the cleansing process I explained earlier; Cleanser, Toner, Moisturiser. In addition, I use the Skintruth Enriching Eye Serum cream in the evenings; I apply a few dots under both eyes using clean fingertips.
I cannot stress how importantly cleanliness is in a good routine. Always wash your hands before touching your face, and keep your make-up brushes clean too. I normally wash my main brushes and powder puff every night so I can have a fresh start the next morning. If I really get trapped for time I just use different clean brushes/powder puff the next day instead, then wash them altogether. It sounds a lot more strict than it really is; after all, you get to relax more on the days you go make-up free. You soon find yourself getting used to the routine, and, I dare say, even enjoy it!
I hope you enjoyed reading, and maybe you’ve even learnt a new thing or two. All products I’ve mentioned can be purchased at my Studio (my business links are on my Contact/PR page). Do you have a daily routine? Feel free to tweet me @MandyJean